Friday, March 15, 2024

Beowulf, translated by Maria Dahvana Headley

I never intended to read yet another epic poem immediately after finishing The Iliad.  But I subscribe to the Poetry Unbound podcast and in February one of the episodes featured a few verses from the Maria Dahvana Headley translation of Beowulf.  I had read excerpts of Beowulf way back when I was in school.  I also read the Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf.  I didn't think I needed anymore Beowulf in my life.  But this transaction intrigued me. 

This one begins:

Bro! Tell me we still know how to speak of Kings!
  In the old
  days,
everyone knew what men were:  brave, bold, glory-
  bound. Only
stories now, but I'll sound the Spear-Danes' song
  hoarded for
  hungry times.

As Headley explains in her forward:  early English verse is distinguished by both alliteration and stress patterns over a caesura (a pause, a gap between the two halves of a line).  Rhyming isn't as important. 

Headley's alliteration is wonderful and modern. 

They stacked shields, wood-weathered, against the walls, then sat down on benches, their metal making music. Their spears, they stood like sleeping soldiers, tall but tilting, gray ash, a death-grove.

Beowulf boasts:  I put that monster down, I made it a sleeper as it leapt, severed its spine, spiked its skull, and split it into smithereens. 

And later he says:  At down, I surfaced in a slurry of scales, floating flotsam where formerly there'd been fangs. 

This was almost as if Lin Manuel Miranda decided to do Beowulf, ignoring internal rhymes and just focusing on alliteration.  I loved it. 

This translation came out in 2020 and somehow I missed it despite it being picked as a Book of the Year by NPR (go figure, there was just a worldwide pandemic to distract me).  But I'm glad I eventually heard of it and read it. 

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...