Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Charles Frazier and I Think Alike

Last week the New York Times Books section profiled Charles Frazier (who apparently has a new book coming out).   The format of these profiles is that the author responds to a series of questions.  Here was one question and answer:

    Q:  What moves you most in a work of literature?

    A:  Language and sense of place, always.

I agree.   As I've begun evaluating books I read based on the Four Doorways I've learned that not only do I look for language first in evaluating a book, I also really love books that have a strong sense of place.  I'll give books a pass on plots and characters that I don't think are wonderful if I love the language and the sense of place.  I won't love them, but I won't completely pan them. 

April Reading

I had a few goals at the start of the year:  (1) to read more classic novels, (ii) to re-read more books (I used to re-read a lot), (3) to b...