Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan

Like most of the world I’ve been following what has been going on in Japan.  I don’t really have anything profound to say about it.   It’s hard to have words for such a disaster.  A 9.0 earthquake seems bad enough, the Tsunami is like a bad dream on top of it.   But now the nuclear crisis? 

I’ve really avoided watching much television footage.  I don’t want to become numb to the images from seeing them over and over.  Because seeing the images isn’t the same thing as being there and knowing that people you know and, maybe love, are gone forever and worrying about the basics of survival and hoping that, on top of everything, there isn’t a nuclear disaster.

So, like the rest of the world, I will only send thoughts and prayers to and for the Japanese people.

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...