Wednesday, January 13, 2010

More Jane Espenson

Jane Espenson and Tim Minear appeared at the 2009 Creation Entertainment Serenity L.A. Con (I’m not sure exactly what that is) to talk about the television script writing process.   I’ve said before that Espenson is one of my favorite television writers.   You can watch it here:

Jane Espenson has written for shows including Ellen, Gilmore Girls, The O.C, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse, among many others. She is especially proud of her work on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and on Battlestar Galactica, where she wrote episodes, co-wrote the Emmy-nominated webisodes, and wrote and produced the BSG TV movie "The Plan." Jane is currently Executive Producer of "Caprica," the Battlestar prequel series set to premiere on Syfy in January of 2010.

The whole presentation is broken into six segments and takes about an hour.    

Looking at the list of shows she’s been involved with, I really wish a worthy successor to Gilmore Girls would appear.  I still haven’t seen any of BSG, although a close friend and her husband are now hooked watching it on DVD and tell me I should watch it.   Presumably it won’t be necessary to have watched it to enjoy Caprica, since Caprica is a prequel. I’m hoping it will be available on hulu – the pilot is.  That’s how I see Stargate Universe.   And Sanctuary.   If not, I may have to visit Truman when it’s on.  Lucky I know a dog with cable.

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...