Friday, January 1, 2010

Hello 2010

It’s so nice to see you!

I don’t usually make resolutions for the new calendar year. For one thing,  I know I’ll break them almost immediately.   But mostly I think it’s because I still tend to think of September as the start of the new year even though I’ve been out of school for almost twenty years.

The only resolution I’m making this year is to change the way I make donations to better the world.  I resolve to give my money to organizations that work day-in-day-out, year after year on issues that I care about.  That means I will not be giving any money to individuals running for office.    

Other than that, no resolutions.  But maybe some wishes.  Yes, I do wishes.

Not “I wish for peace on Earth” kind of wishes (although I do wish for that) but “I wish I were different” kind of wishes.   Don’t worry, I’m a pretty rational person so I don’t suddenly wish I were 5’5” instead of 5’8”  or wish I looked like someone else.   I don’t even wish that I were nicer.  There are some things that just don’t change.

But other things I have a bit of control over and I wish I would do those things.    So in the spirit of the New Year maybe, if I wish hard enough and clap loud enough, in 2010 I’ll:

  • do more stretching
  • make more homecooked meals
  • spend more time with friends I didn’t see enough in 2009
  • catch up on my French history project that I mostly put aside a couple of years ago
  • Learn some more Italian (which should be easy with my new “phrase a day” Italian calendar from AB)

And if I don’t, oh well.

Felice Anno Nuovo!

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...