Thursday, January 14, 2010

Flappering?


Booking through Thursday asks:

Do you read the inside flaps that describe a book before or while reading it?

I think I can safely say that I’ve never read the inside flap of a book while I was reading it. What would be the point? I mean, if you’re that confused by the book that you think reading the synopsis on the flap will set you straight … well, there is something wrong with the book. Or with you.

But before I read … it depends.

If I know I’m going to read the book (a favorite author or I’ve seen good reviews or its been recommended by lots of people) I never read the flap. I don’t want spoilers. It used to be that if I was just browsing in the library or bookshop, looking for something new, I would read the flap. And sometimes I still do. But these days I mostly just read the first five pages. If it grabs me I choose it; if it doesn’t I skip it.

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...