Sunday, December 20, 2009

Troll the Ancient Yuletide Carol

The 2009 winter solstice occurs on Monday, December 21 at 12:47 p.m. (EST).   After that the days begin to get longer.   Thank you whoever is in charge up there.   I need more daylight.

Winter solstice is the traditional time of midwinter festivals and the Vikings celebrated it a “yule”.    Being fairhaired Irish I’m probably descended from the Vikings.    At least, I like to think so.  And my English ancestors came over with William the Conqueror from Normandy.  And William and his followers were descended from Vikings.   It’s true – you can look it up.

So I’m going with Yule being a tradition in my family going waaaaaaay back.  

The winter solstice is always observed at Woodhenge (across the river in Cahokia) at sunrise on the nearest Sunday to the actual date, which was this morning.    I’m not really sure why people think spiritual events always have to happen at the ungodly hour of sunrise.  Can’t a person be spiritual at sunset?   I know I’m much nicer at sunset than at sunrise and being nicer seems essential to spirituality.   I feel certain that Vikings weren’t very nice in the morning either.

In any event, I didn’t attend the solstice activities.  I never do.  But my halls are decked and my gay apparel is standing by.

I’m ready to troll.  

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...