Saturday, June 27, 2009

Buffy v. Edward

This very clever remix has been going around for a couple of weeks.  I've never seen or read Twilight but if Edward really is this creepy I don't get the appeal. 

And is there any doubt who wins?

Rumor says there is to be a new Buffy movie but Joss Whedon won't be involved. I don't know how I feel about that.  On the one hand, it just seems dumb.  There was one movie.  It wasn't successful.  What was successful was the TV series.  Going back to movie format seems like a waste of everyone's time.  On the other hand, other successful TV franchises were turned into successful movie franchises.  Star Trek.  Spiderman.  Batman.  

Or not.

I'm still trying to decide if I should read Twilight.  I'm just as ambivalent about that as I am about the Buffy movie.  Sounds like a waste of time from a literary point of view.  Lots of people I know have read it and talk about it so to the extent it is a social thing it isn't a total waste of time. 

Or not.

Beowulf, translated by Maria Dahvana Headley

I never intended to read yet another epic poem immediately after finishing The Iliad .  But I subscribe to the Poetry Unbound podcast and in...