Thursday, May 7, 2009

Graphic

This week's question at Booking Through Thursday is this:

Last Saturday (May 2nd) is Free Comic Book Day! In celebration of comics and graphic novels, some suggestions:

- Do you read graphic novels/comics? Why do/don’t you enjoy them?
- How would you describe the difference between “graphic novel” and “comic”? Is there a difference at all?
- Say you have a friend who’s never encountered graphic novels. Recommend some titles you consider landmark/”canonical”.

I don't think I've ever read a graphic novel.  When I was a kid I read comic books.  In fact, according to my parents, in fifth grade I got in trouble for reading comic books in class.  I must have gotten it from some other kid in my class because I don't remember ever buying a comic book.   And the truth is that I don't remember reading comic books in class in fifth grade.  I remember playing hangman with my friend Carol and being bored to death because our teacher was so bad.  That was the year I got and "A" in most every subject (except probably gym class) and a "D" in effort.  Hence the parent/teacher conference about the alleged comic books.   But I digress ...

I have nothing against comics, comic books or (I suppose) graphic novels.  And if someone wants to recommend one I might put it on the list of things to be read. 

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...