Thursday, April 30, 2009

Worse?

Booking Through Thursday asks the following:

Which is worse?

1. Finding a book you love and then hating everything else you try by that author, or

2. Reading a completely disappointing book by an author that you love?

This is a hard one, but since answer No. 1 would require me to read a lot of books I hate to really find out that I hated everything else - I think that would be worse. Although I'm having a hard time thinking of a book that I've loved but then hated everything else the author wrote. Sometimes (often) I don't like anything else as much as the book I loved, but I usually don't hate everything else. On the other hand, I have loved an author and then read a disappointing book. For instance, my favorite AS Byatt. I was disappointed by The Biographer's Tale (even though I think it could be made into a film). But that's just the way life is.

By the way, my friend and regular commenter AndiF has (finally) decided to start a photo blog. She's still unpacking, organizing and moving the furniture around, but the housewarming party is in full swing. Check it out: 40 Acres More or Less.

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...