Wednesday, April 22, 2009

This & That: Style, Books etc.

Some stuff I've been thinking about:

  • Reading the April hard cover edition of the ABA Journal I ran across this.  The co-head of DLA Piper's international arbitration group was tired of the bickering between firm lawyers working on a case where the workload was spread between the firm's New York and  London offices.  Seems that they "couldn't stop correcting one another's grammar and writing styles styles based on their respective country's English."   So the firm ended up developing its own English style guide.  It doesn't say how long that took and how much bickering and compromise was involved.  But I'd like to see it.  I regularly spell words the British way because I read so much British literature.  
  • Sadly, I have reached the end of the Tess Monaghan series (at least until Laura Lippman writes another).  Sometimes a series will get stale the further it goes, but I think this series just gets stronger as it goes along.  (Although I do think she should strive to end the next book without a shooting at the end, that's getting a little old.) The last book, Another Thing to Fall, involved a television production in Baltimore.  Unlike the multitudes of people who dream of working in movies and television I've always known I'm not cut out for that life.  I'm a night person, not a morning person.  This novel confirmed that.   While reading this series I never bothered to find out anything about Laura Lippman on a personal level.  I knew she was a former reporter because every time I would go look for a link to one of her books it mentioned that.  But I didn't know that she was married to David Simon until I read the afterward to this book.  That is one creative household.   And it reminds me that I still need to watch the last two seasons of The Wire.
  • More Twitter Lit:  Baby Trotsky, a Twitterary Magazine.  I just love the phrase "Twitterary Magazine".
  • Happy Earth Day - what's left of it.

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...