Sunday, April 26, 2009

Diversity in Reading

I saw this over at A Work in Progress and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Name the last book by a female author that you've read.

Babylon Sisters by Pearl Cleage which I just finished.  It is the book we are discussing at one of my reading groups this week.  This was an easy question though because I regularly read books by women.  I went back and looked and since the beginning of the year I've read 17 books by female authors.

Name the last book by an African or African-American author that you've read.

Well, that would also be Babylon Sisters.   That seemed almost too easy.  So I went back to look (because I suspect I don't read many African American authors) and that was the only book by an African or African-American author that I've read since Cry the Beloved Country by South African writer Alan Paton.  I read that in 2007.

Name one from a Latino/a author.

I think I have to go back to Zorro by Isabel Allende, which I read back in 2007.  I've have her book Ines of my Soul sitting in my TBR pile of two years now.

How about one from an Asian country or Asian-American?

My reading list has been full of Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent for the last 2 years.  The last would be A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini.  There was also Bookseller of Kabul, The God of Small Things,  The Impressionist, The InterpreterThe Inheritance of Loss, Saving Fish from Drowing, The Namesake.   I actually was getting a bit tired of Asian based novels and I notice that  I haven't read many in the last 6 months except for A Thousand Splendid Suns.

What about a GLBT writer?

At first I was going to say that, to my knowledge, I had read none - but then I thought maybe that was just my ignorance showing. Especially as I read Danielle's answers at AWIP and I saw Sarah Waters in answer to that category and I remember I read  her Night Watch a couple of years ago and liked it.  So I googled GLBT authors and found the wikipedia list.  The last book I read by anyone on that list  (excepting poets) was Virginia Woolf's The Voyage Out which I read about 11 months ago.

Why not name an Israeli/Arab/Turk/Persian writer, if you're feeling lucky?

I'm drawing a blank on this one. 

Any other "marginalized" authors you've read lately?

Nope. 

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...