Wednesday, March 25, 2009

This & That: TV, Movies, etc

Some stuff:

  • I went to see Duplicity, the new movie with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. I was ambivalent. I enjoyed it - but not as much as I expected. And it seemed a little long. Roberts and Owen play spies (CIA and MI5 respectively) who leave their agencies and team up to make money doing corporate security - by stealing from their employers. They have chemistry - when they are together the sparks fly. But when they aren't together things kind of drag. And maybe I was distracted or bored at the end, but I can't figure out how Owen's character ended up where he did with what he did. And I consider that a flaw, not a benefit. The director, Tony Gilroy, also directed Michael Clayton which I also enjoyed but found totally unbelievable.
  • After three episodes, I'm still good with Castle. It's not the greatest TV show ever made, but it keeps my interest on Monday nights and Nathan Fillion is never anything but great. And things have changed since the days of Murder She Wrote: now they solve crimes using blue tooth technology.
  • Right before Castle comes on, Dancing with the Stars is on. I've never watched the show before although I've caught glimpses. And I've never bothered to sit through the whole thing this season, but the 15 minutes or so that I've seen has been pretty enjoyable. It makes me wonder if there has been an upsurge in ballroom dancing since it went on the air. I'm a total klutz so the idea of dancing backwards in high heels in front of an audience makes my stomach hurt. On the other hand, the idea of being able to dance like that at a wedding reception or anniversary party sounds like fun.
  • Have I mentioned that I love hulu? Right now you can watch all episodes of Cosmos with Carl Sagan. And funnily enough, I've been thinking of Cosmos lately. Every time someone on TV talks about the billions and billions of dollars we are spending on the financial bailout I hear Carl Sagan's voice. Billions and billions ...
  • A very practical website I found via Justin Fox (Time's economics blogger) is Still Tasty where you can find how long your favorite food or beverage will last and how to store it. According to Fox the "creator is a retired food safety expert with the Canadian government." It answers questions like "Is it better to store my bread on the counter or in the fridge?" (on the counter). I also found that I can keep my opened jar of Strawberry Jelly in the refrigerator for up to a year.

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...