Thursday, December 18, 2008

This and That

I'm still looking for suggestions in the post below.  While you think ...

  • Sometimes you just need a holiday chuckle -- and this one is at someone else's expense.  But I can't help it, I lauged. If you need a laugh then click here to hear the worst ending to Handel's Messiah evah.   For those of us who have sung it many times ... it's one of those funny but thank god it wasn't me moments.  (h/t Inside the Classics)
  • If any multi-millionaire was out looking for a Christmas gift for me, I hope he (or she) picked me up an original EH Shepard Winnie the Pooh Drawing.
  • Majel Barrett-Roddenberry has died.  The computer is speechless.  And Deanna Troi is mourning.
  • I'm thinking of making Cranberry Sorbet this weekend.  Unless I feel too cold.   My sister and I are baking cookies and I figure we'll need a palate cleanser.  Which reminds me that I need to dig out a cookie recipe for Toni's Cookie Exchange.
  • As I sit here amidst ice and some snow, feeling very cold, I'm very jealous of my friends Meg and Adam who are spending six months in South America.  They were my inspiration for starting a blog in the first place.  But while they are now blogging in summer clothes, while drinking Argentinian wine and eating Argentinian steak, I'm in my bunny slippers and an oversized sweater shivering.   ::sniff::
  • Haven't finished your holiday shopping yet?  Books make great gifts.  At least, that's what America's book publishers think.  And they've done a youtube that says so ( I particularly like Jon Stewart's reasoning):


Beowulf, translated by Maria Dahvana Headley

I never intended to read yet another epic poem immediately after finishing The Iliad .  But I subscribe to the Poetry Unbound podcast and in...