Friday, December 12, 2008

20 Favorite Actresses

There's a meme going around where bloggers are supposed to name their 20 favorite actresses.  I decided to use the TV test - If I'm flipping stations and I catch a glimpse of an actress, do I stop to watch the movie?

In no particular order they are:

  • Deborah Kerr
  • Katherine Hepburn
  • Judy Garland
  • Audrey Hepburn
  • Ingrid Bergman
  • Jessica Lange
  • Meryl Streep
  • Judi Dench
  • Maggie Smith
  • Myrna Loy
  • Helen Mirren
  • Peggy Ashcroft
  • Emma Thompson
  • Judy Holiday
  • Doris Day
  • Grace Kelly
  • Vivien Leigh
  • Katherine Grayson
  • Bette Davis
  • Greta Garbo

I put Judy Holiday on the list even though she didn't make many movies because I like her in all the movies she was in.  Here's the famous gin rummy scene from Born Yesterday:

Beowulf, translated by Maria Dahvana Headley

I never intended to read yet another epic poem immediately after finishing The Iliad .  But I subscribe to the Poetry Unbound podcast and in...