Thursday, November 6, 2008

Book Love

A question from BTT:
Are you a spine breaker? Or a dog-earer? Do you expect to keep your books in pristine condition even after you have read them? Does watching other readers bend the cover all the way round make you flinch or squeal in pain?
Oh, I'm a spine breaker AND a dog earer. And a soup-spiller on pages. Except when I buy a book as a gift and decide to read it first - then I read it just barely cracked open.

Maybe because books are so readily available these days (compared to, say, the Middle Ages), I just don't give too much thought to preserving them. In fact, I hate when people give me special editions of books - like I'm supposed to appreciate how it is bound, rather than appreciate the BOOK - the words and the concepts behind the words.

My books are READ. They don't just sit on shelves. And since I carry them around with me they tend to get pretty beat up.

You?

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...