Monday, October 13, 2008

An "Honest-to-God Literary Salon"

Last week, a friend of mine used a quote in one of her blog posts that contained the phrase: poetry readings, literary salons, theatres.

I commented that I'd always wanted to meet someone who had been to an honest-to-god literary salon. She, with her inimitable wit, shot back, "what would qualify as a "sham" literary salon, I am wondering."

I'm still thinking about that. What qualifies as a literary salon? What is the difference between an author event and a literary salon? What is the difference between a book discussion group and a literary salon? Is it the location? The people who attend? The topics discussed? The general ambience?

And, really, what would qualify as a "sham" literary salon? I am wondering too.

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...