Sunday, October 12, 2008

A blank page

Why start a blog? Especially after I swore that I didn’t blog and I wouldn’t blog? Because … life is an experiment.


One of my co-workers just took a leave of absence to travel around the world with her husband. This is something you have to do either when you are young or when you are old. They are young. I am not. (But I’m not yet old.)


They started a blog so that their friends (and former co-workers) could follow their travels. It seemed sensible. We all agreed it was sensible. It would save them having to write to friends (and former co-workers) individually.


But then we all wanted our own blog. Even my co-workers who didn’t normally read blogs wanted their own blogs. But what, we asked ourselves, could we blog about when we are desk-bound five (sometimes seven) days a week? Traveling around the world seems blog-worthy. Traveling to the copy machine? Not so much.


So, what will I blog about? My travels of the mind: books I’m reading; movies I’m seeing; television I’m (rarely) watching; art I’m thinking about. Maybe even real travels. No politics (well, not much). No work-related topics.


Join me. Either in your own minds or in the comments.

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Middlemarch, A Study of Provincial Life by George Eliot is one of those classics of English Literature that show up on most "you must r...